As we head into Winter how can we look after ourselves to prevent or cure the common cold?
Using the following preventative measures and natural cold remedies, you can avoid nasty germs and feel better more quickly when you do get sick.
Preventing a cold can be as simple as being vigilant with hygiene and looking after yourself.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
- If you have a cold yourself, be sure to sneeze into your elbow or a tissue, not your hand. You are less likely to pass on your germs to others.
- Eat healthily, drink lots of water, avoid alcohol, exercise regularly and get enough sleep. The fitter and healthier your body, the less susceptible it is to viruses and infections.
- See a naturopath and/or nutritionist for natural ways to ward off colds and flu.
- Hot water with honey and lemon – the combination of hot water and honey soothes your throat while the lemon is packed with Vitamin C.
- Chicken or veggie soup. It’s an ancient wisdom and it works. Add lots of garlic, onion, ginger and thyme – all natural anti-cold warriors!
- Thyme tea. Thyme is great for unblocking the nose and clearing headaches. Add 1 tsp of dried thyme leaves to 1 cup of boiling water, let steep for five minutes while inhaling the steam. Then strain the tea and add honey to taste.
- Hot Toddy – treat yourself to a tasty and effective remedy that has been tried and tested for centuries.